Nov. 15, 2012
Northwest horticulture team takes fourth at regional competition
Northwest Missouri State University agriculture students competed Oct 11-14 in the Mid-America Collegiate Horticultural Society (MACHS) conference at South Dakota State University in Brookings, S.D., where they placed fourth overall.
The Northwest team also finished second in herbaceous plant identification and third in woody plant identification.
Rego Jones, instructor of agricultural sciences, coaches the team, which is comprised of students in Northwest’s Horticulture Club. The club is open to all Northwest students and has been active at Northwest since 1989.
“Anytime you go to a conference of this type and compete, you gain as much or more from the networking experiences and interactions with students from other states,” Jones said. “It’s also good to see our students competing quite well against mostly Division I schools.”
Teams compete in the areas of plant judging and plant identification where they must identify live specimens ranging from trees to house plants. Additionally, a general knowledge examination challenges students with questions about a variety of horticulture subjects, including landscape, turf grass, greenhouse production and orchards.
While this year’s competition drew teams from schools in 12 states throughout the Midwest, the annual conference also features a keynote speaker and opportunities for students to tour horticulture facilities in the region.
Northwest students who attended the conference were:
- Callie Kiser, a sophomore horticulture major from Shelbyville
- Heather Main, a senior agriculture business major from Bucklin
- Zuleika McClarnon, a junior horticulture major from Bedford, Iowa
- Chase McCutcheon, a junior recreation major with a recreation and park management emphasis from Overland Park, Kan.
- Jessica Noker, a senior agriculture education major from Brookfield
- Taylor Olson, a junior horticulture major from Hiawatha, Kan.
- Brittany Sheridan, a junior biology major with a botany emphasis from Wentzville
For more information, please contact:
Mark Hornickel, Media Relations Specialist
firstname.lastname@example.org | 660.562.1704 | Fax: 660.562.1900
Northwest Missouri State University
215 Administration Building | 800 University Drive | Maryville, MO 64468