Aug. 6, 2012
Family Weekend to offer entertainment, football, fun Sept. 28-30
Updated Aug. 24, 2012
Family Weekend Schedule 2012(Times and locations are subject to change. *Event will be in the Student Union in case of inclement weather)
Friday, Sept. 28
- 4 p.m. – Northwest soccer vs. Northeastern State University (Bearcat Pitch)
- 6 p.m. – Alumni Awards Banquet, sponsored by the Northwest Alumni Association ($30 per person or $200 per table; reservations required; Student Union Ballroom)
- 7 p.m. – Northwest volleyball vs. Southwest Baptist (Bearcat Arena)
- 7 p.m. – Magician Peter Boie (Charles Johnson Theater, sponsored by Student Activities Council)
Saturday, Sept. 29
- All day – Fraternity open houses
- 6:30 a.m. (check-in) / 7 a.m. (start) – 5K Run/Walk/Roll (Lamkin Activity Center Circle Drive, sponsored by Northwest athletic trainers)
- 9 to 10:30 a.m. – Pancake breakfast by Chris Cakes, sponsored by Student Senate ($4; Alumni House*)
- 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. – Bearcat Bookstore open (Student Union)
- 9 to 11 a.m. – Alumni House open house
- 9 to 11 a.m. – Roberta Hall open house
- 10:30 a.m. – Campus Scavenger Hunt (Prizes awarded to each finisher; Centennial Gardens*)
- 11 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. – Family Weekend Archives Display (B.D. Owens Library)
- 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Family Fun Fest (College Park*)
- Noon – Hy-Vee Bearcat Zone tailgate ($6.50 per meal; College Park)
- Noon to 2 p.m. – Phyllis & Richard Leet Center for Children and Families Open House (1 p.m., dedication and ribbon cutting, Brown Hall)
- Noon to 2 p.m. – St. Jude Up ‘til Dawn Family Weekend Fundraiser (College Park*)
- 2:30 p.m. – Northwest football vs. Northeastern State/Family of the Year recognition (Bearcat Stadium)
- 7 p.m. – Movie: “The Hunger Games” (Charles Johnson Theater, sponsored National Pan-Hellenic Council)
Sunday, Sept. 30
- Morning – Faith Services (Maryville community)
- 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. – All-You-Can-Eat Brunch Buffet ($9.18 per meal including tax; Student Union)
- 1 to 11:45 p.m. – Family Weekend Archives Display (B.D. Owens Library)
- 1 p.m. – Northwest soccer vs. Central Oklahoma (Bearcat Pitch)
Parents and families of Northwest Missouri State University students will gather for a weekend of entertainment, athletic events and family fun as the University celebrates its annual Family Weekend, Sept. 28-30.
The weekend's highlights include free entertainment, the annual Alumni Awards Banquet and numerous athletics events, including a Saturday afternoon football game against Northeastern State (Okla.). Festivities surrounding the football game include the Hy-Vee Bearcat Zone tailgate and the halftime introduction of the Northwest Family of the Year.
Families may reserve tickets for Family Weekend event in advance by registering online. Registration forms should be completed by 11:59 p.m. Monday, Sept. 24. Students may charge tickets to their Bearcat Cards or by using a credit or debit card.
Tickets will be available for pickup between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., beginning Wednesday, Sept. 26, in the Office of Campus Activities, located on the second floor of the J.W. Jones Student Union. Students must present a Bearcat Card for verification purposes.
All Family Weekend events are open to the public, unless otherwise noted. Times are subject to change.
A complete schedule for Family Weekend along with detailed information for specific events appears below. For more information contact the Office of Campus Activities at 660.562.1226 or email@example.com, or click here.
Family of the Year nominations
Each year, Northwest recognizes a family who best represents the “Bearcat Family” and demonstrates a strong commitment to Northwest. The 2012 Family of the Year is selected from submitted applications and announced during the pregame of the football game Saturday, Sept. 29. The family receives a $750 scholarship and other prizes.
The deadline to submit an application is 5 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 19. One application is allowed per student. The family must be present to accept the award.
Alumni Awards Banquet
Six distinguished members of the Northwest family will be honored during the Alumni Awards Banquet, sponsored by the Northwest Alumni Association. The event begins with a 6 p.m. social Friday, Sept. 28, in the J.W. Jones Student Union Ballroom. A dinner begins at 6:45 p.m. and the awards presentation starts at 8 p.m.
Tickets cost $30 per person or $200 for a table of eight. Reservations will be accepted through Friday, Sept. 14, on a first-come, first-served basis.
This year’s honorees are Dr. Edward L. Farquhar, Dr. Ahmed Malkawi, Mitch Osborn, Dr. Max Ruhl, Dan Runde and Dr. Tyler Tapps
For more information about the Alumni Awards Banquet, or to purchase tickets, call the Office of University Advancement at 660.562.1248 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. To register online, go to www.nwmissouri.edu/alumni/events/awards/registration.htm.
Kickoff time for the Bearcats’ football game against Northeastern State is set for 2:30 p.m. at Bearcat Stadium. The Hy-Vee Bearcat Zone, Northwest's tailgate area prior to all home football games, gets under way at noon at the Raymond J. Courter College Park Pavilion.
The game, which will be televised on the MIAA TV Network, will include a halftime recognition of the Northwest Family of the Year.
For more information, please contact:
Mark Hornickel, Media Relations Specialist
email@example.com | 660.562.1704 | Fax: 660.562.1900
Northwest Missouri State University
215 Administration Building | 800 University Drive | Maryville, MO 64468