April 20, 2012
Yearbook, newspaper earn awards at state media convention
Northwest Missouri State University student publications claimed numerous awards at the Missouri College Media Association Convention (MCMA) April 14 hosted by Missouri Western State University.
Competing among other college newspapers throughout the state, The Northwest Missourian received third place in the overall newspaper category and third place overall for its website. The Missourian also was awarded first place for its opinion pages and second place in page one design. The Tower yearbook was awarded first place in theme development.
In addition, staff members of Tower, Cory Chase and Sasha Mulvihill, and The Missourian, Seth Cook and Jason Kraft, each took first place awards.
“To be recognized for the third best overall paper is quite an accomplishment and definitely one I’m proud of, especially because of all the work we’ve put in,” Trey Williams, The Missourian’s editor-in-chief, said.
Tower has received an All-American rating from the Associated Collegiate Press (ACP) annually since 1984 and has been inducted into the ACP hall of fame. The 300-page publication gives students the opportunity to plan a theme, write, edit, take photographs and design. Tower also produces a CD-ROM edition as a supplement to the yearbook.
The Missourian is a weekly, citywide newspaper that covers the city of Maryville and the Northwest campus. Students who work on The Missourian are responsible for all writing, photography, editing, advertising and design. ACP has ranked The Missourian in the top 1 percent of all college newspapers in the country.
A complete list of the awards given to Northwest student publications staffs and individuals appears below.
- First place, theme development
- Erin Funk, third place, sports design
- Erin Funk, second place, personality sketch
- Sasha Mulvihill, first place, student life design
- Cory Chase, first place, feature writing
- Cory Chase, second place, feature writing
- Kari Kolts, second place, sports photography
- Kari Kolts, third place, feature photography
The Northwest Missourian
- Third place, best overall newspaper
- Third place, website
- First place, editorial/opinion page
- Second place, page one design
- Honorable mention, page one design
- Michael Duntz, second place, advertising
- Ty Stevens, honorable mention, story illustration
- Lori Frankenfield, third place, story illustration
- Seth Cook, first place, sports photography
- Seth Cook, honorable mention, sports photography
- Kira Northrop, honorable mention, feature photography
- Jason Lawrence, first place, sports column
- Chris Schoonover, second place, sports writing
- Darleen Denno, second place, feature writing
For more information, please contact:
Mark Hornickel, Media Relations Specialist
firstname.lastname@example.org | 660.562.1704 | Fax: 660.562.1900
Northwest Missouri State University
215 Administration Building | 800 University Drive | Maryville, MO 64468