Oct. 27, 2011
Forensics team earns individual awards at Kansas State tournaments
The Northwest Missouri State University forensics team returned home with nine individual and duo awards after competing in the Lynne Ross Classic and the KSU Alumni tournaments hosted by Kansas State University Oct. 22-23 in Manhattan, Kan.
Northwest placed sixth at the Lynn Ross Classic and fifth at the KSU Alumni Tournament. Leading the way was Samantha Stone, a sophomore elementary education major from Independence, who competed in prose interpretation and earned the team’s first individual event championship of the season.
“The best thing about the final round was when a judge apologized for not writing more comments because she was so drawn into the performance,” Stone said afterward.
Carl Stafford, a senior speech and theatre education major from St. Louis, placed in five events during the two tournaments. Kelsey Bowers, a sophomore speech and theatre education major from Independence, and Tony Pulford, a sophomore theatre major from Independence, placed in both of their dramatic duo interpretation events.
Director of Forensics Brian Swafford said the team has a bright future ahead with several first-year competitors improving on their performances. Haiden Brand, a freshman pre-nursing major from Lincoln, Neb., broke into the final round for the first time this season, while three other Northwest competitors came within one ranking point of advancing to the final round in dramatic interpretation.
“It is always nice to be rewarded for all the hard work we have put in,” Swafford said. “Sam (Stone) did just that with her outstanding prose performance.”
At the tournaments, the forensics team competed against nationally ranked programs from the University of Nebraska-Omaha, the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Doane College (Neb.) and Hastings College (Neb.), among others.
Complete results from the most recent tournaments are listed below.
Lynne Ross Classic (Oct. 22)
- Team sweepstakes: Northwest, sixth place
- Individual sweepstakes: Carl Stafford, eighth place
- Dramatic interpretation: Carl Stafford, fifth place
- Dramatic duo interpretation: Kelsey Bowers and Tony Pulford, seventh place
- Poetry interpretation: Carl Stafford, sixth place
KSU Alumni Tournament (Oct. 23)
- Team sweepstakes: Northwest, fifth place
- Individual sweepstakes: Carl Stafford, seventh place
- Dramatic interpretation: Carl Stafford, fifth place; Haiden Brand, sixth place
- Dramatic duo interpretation: Kelsey Bowers and Tony Pulford, sixth place
- Prose interpretation: Samantha Stone, first place
For more information, please contact:
Mark Hornickel, Media Relations Specialist
email@example.com | 660.562.1704 | Fax: 660.562.1900
Northwest Missouri State University
215 Administration Building | 800 University Drive | Maryville, MO 64468