July 11, 2011
Bearcat Bookstore enhances textbook rental program
MARYVILLE, Mo. - Beginning in August, the Bearcat Bookstore at Northwest Missouri State University will give students a new lease on their sometimes budget-focused, hectic lives by offering a new, multi-channel textbook rental program designed to deliver maximum savings and convenience.
This innovative textbook rental program will allow students to rent their supplemental textbooks for less than 50 percent of the cost of purchasing a new printed textbook. Plus, as an added convenience, students will be able to rent their books either in the store or from the store's website www.nwmissouri.bkstore.com.
This decision to offer a textbook rental program was a joint decision made by Northwest and Barnes & Noble College Booksellers.
"We feel it is important to give students as many options as possible with the potential to hold cost down for them individually, even if that means we have to create some additional cuts internally to make up for any revenue loss," said Stacy Carrick, vice president of finance at Northwest.
"We are committed to providing students with the widest range of content options and price points available," said Kim Otte, vice president at Barnes & Noble College Booksellers. "Whether students are interested in new books, used, digital, unbundled, or now rentals, they know they can find what they want at the Bearcat Bookstore."
Other program features include:
- Students can pay the rental fees using any form of tender currently accepted by the bookstore (excluding PayPal) - including student financial aid and campus debit cards. (Note: For security purposes, a valid credit card must also be provided regardless of the tender used for the rental fee.)
- Students can highlight or mark the rented books just as they would if they purchased a book and planned to sell it back to the bookstore.
- Students can convert their rental to a purchase during the first two weeks of class.
- The rental period is for the duration of the term/semester. Books are due back by the last day of finals. Students can return books in person or mail them to the bookstore.
- Courtesy emails will go out as the end of the term/semester approaches reminding students to return their books. Books not returned (or returned in unusable condition) will be subject to replacement and processing fees.
Beginning in fall 2010 more than 300 college and university bookstores began offering textbook rental programs through the campus bookstore. In a follow up survey more than 90 percent of the students said they would rent from the bookstore again.
In addition to the rental program for supplemental textbooks at the Bearcat Bookstore, primary textbooks are included in Northwest's tuition, ensuring that all students have access to the tools they need to be successful in the classroom. Northwest's primary textbook rental program saves students an average of $900 per year.
For more information about the Bearcat Bookstore, visit www.nwmissouri.bkstore.com.
About Barnes & Noble, Inc.
Barnes & Noble, Inc. (NYSE: BKS), the world's largest bookseller and a Fortune 500 company, operates 775 bookstores in 50 states. Barnes & Noble College Booksellers, LLC, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Barnes & Noble, also operates 639 college bookstores serving nearly 4 million students and over 250,000 faculty members at colleges and universities across the United States. For more information, please visit www.bncollege.com.
For more information, please contact:
Mark Hornickel, Media Relations Specialist
email@example.com | 660.562.1704 | Fax: 660.562.1900
Northwest Missouri State University
215 Administration Building | 800 University Drive | Maryville, MO 64468