April 27, 2011
Information regarding Northwest’s roll out of Windows 7 and Office 2010
MARYVILLE, Mo. - For the fall of 2011, Northwest Missouri State University is providing laptop and software upgrades that include Windows 7 and Office 2010.
Below is information regarding the upgrades.
Students have the option of receiving new HP Probook 6455b Notebook computers featuring an AMD PhenomTM II Dual-Core Mobile Processor N620 (2.8 GHz), 3 gigabytes of RAM and 160 gigabytes of disk storage with Microsoft Windows 7 and Office 2010 software.
Returning students may exchange their old notebooks for new notebooks with Windows 7 and Office 2010. Watch your Northwest e-mail account for announcements in July with the exchange dates and times.
Faculty have an opportunity to receive Office 2010 and Windows 7 on their current notebooks or trade their older notebooks for newer machines.
- Up to 20 faculty will be asked to test the new software starting May 2. Any problems encountered should be reported to Client Computing before July 1.
- Testing faculty will need to back up all data and drop off the computer at Client Computing to be reloaded. Reloads will take about one day. Reloads started before 10 a.m. should be ready the same day; notebooks dropped off for reload after 10 a.m. will be ready the next day.
- Faculty not involved in the testing may receive the new software between Aug. 1 and Aug. 12.
- Faculty notebook reloads will resume Sept. 6.
- Faculty notebooks that are not HP will not receive Windows 7.
Desktops with Electronic Campus asset tags lower than 09228, most of which are Gateways, will not be upgraded to Windows 7. Only Office 2010 and Windows XP will be available on the older computers.
- Computers will be reloaded for Windows 7.
- Newly purchased desktops will have the Windows 7 image starting after July 1. Installs of new computers will be done as staff time permits from July 1 until after classes start.
- Selected people will have a beta version of the load-set for testing starting May 1.
- Upgrades will be done as requested and as staff time permits beginning Sept. 6.
For more information contact the Client Computing-Information Systems Help Desk by phone at 660.562.1634 or by e-mail at email@example.com. Training also is available upon request on Windows 7 and Office 2010.
For more information, please contact:
Mark Hornickel, Media Relations Specialist
firstname.lastname@example.org | 660.562.1704 | Fax: 660.562.1900
Northwest Missouri State University
215 Administration Building | 800 University Drive | Maryville, MO 64468