April 18, 2011
Northwest implementing new cloud e-mail accounts for students
What students should know about Phase 1 of the e-mail conversion:
- On April 11, new email accounts for all students were created and can be accessed by clicking here. Existing e-mail accounts are not affected in any way by the new accounts. The only commonality is user name (Snnnnnn) and password. E-mail sent to accounts at nwmissouri.edu will not be delivered into the mail.nwmissouri.edu account during the first phase.
- Your new account will be Snnnnnn@mail.nwmissouri.edu where Snnnnnn is the same as your current domain login.
- To access the mail.nwmissouri.edu the first time, you must change your domain password by following the directions on the page here. You may have to wait five minutes for the password change to take effect. Passwords can be no longer than 16 characters due to restrictions of the cloud e-mail service. Other password criteria have not changed.
- You will not be able to change your domain password using cloud e-mail. You will have to use the directions found on the page here.
- All new student email accounts created after May 1 will use mail.nwmissouri.edu. All new student accounts created after May 1 will not have Catbert storage, they will be expected to use cloud storage affiliated with their e-mail by clicking here.
MARYVILLE, Mo. - Northwest Missouri State University students can begin getting familiar with upgraded cloud e-mail accounts and Microsoft Exchange 2010 software that the University is implementing in three phases during the summer and fall trimesters.
New e-mail accounts for all students were created this month at http://outlook.com/mail.nwmissouri.edu. Northwest students are being encouraged to access their new accounts to learn about the features associated with them.
Existing e-mail accounts are not affected by the change, and students maintain their current username, or "S" number. E-mail sent to accounts at nwmissouri.edu also will not be delivered to mail.nwmissouri.edu accounts at this time.
The new accounts will be Snnnnnn@mail.nwmissouri.edu where Snnnnnn is the same as the students' current domain login.
To access accounts at mail.nwmissouri.edu for the first time, students must change their domain password by following the directions by clicking here. Students may have to wait five minutes for the password to take effect. Passwords should be no longer than 16 characters due to restrictions of the cloud e-mail service.
Students will not be able to change their domain password using cloud e-mail and should use directions at the above link.
All new student e-mail accounts created after May 1, will use mail.nwmissouri.edu. Those students will not have Catbert storage and will be expected to use cloud storage affiliated with their new e-mail at http://outlook.com/mail.nwmissouri.edu .
During ensuing phases, beginning in the fall, e-mail sent to nwmissouri.edu also will be delivered to the cloud, and the old exchange e-mail accounts at nwmissouri.edu will be closed.
The upgrades are part of a partnership with Microsoft that significantly increases e-mail storage for students while trimming costs for Northwest. The upgraded e-mail software also provides students with online versions of Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint and a greater ability to share files.
The new system increases students' storage space from 50 megabytes to 10 gigabytes. Additionally, students will have access to 25 gigabytes of online storage space, compared to 30 megabytes of storage space designated for students on Northwest's Catbert server. However, there is no backup for anything stored on the cloud.
Additionally, full-time students at Northwest, who receive a fully-loaded notebook computer with their paid tuition, will receive new computers next fall that include Windows 7 software.
University officials note cloud computing is playing an increasing role in higher education, with more services and programs moving online, especially student services such as e-mail and office applications.
Students who have questions about the e-mail upgrades may contact the Help Desk by phone at 660.562.1634 or e-mail the Help Desk.
For more information, please contact:
Mark Hornickel, Media Relations Specialist
email@example.com | 660.562.1704 | Fax: 660.562.1900
Northwest Missouri State University
215 Administration Building | 800 University Drive | Maryville, MO 64468