This website is best viewed in a browser that supports web standards.

Skip to content or, if you would rather, Skip to navigation.

Northwest Missouri State University


News Release

March 30, 2011

Northwest Board of Regents approves tuition, fee increases for 2011-2012

MARYVILLE, Mo. - Tuition for 2011-2012 at Northwest Missouri State University will increase 4.5 percent for in-state undergraduate students and 6 percent for out-of-state undergraduate students and for graduate students.

The University's Board of Regents approved the tuition increases during its regular board meeting Tuesday, March 29. Regents approved a 1.8 percent tuition increase for in-state undergraduate students at Tuesday's meeting that will be added to a 2.7 percent increase that was approved last year but not implemented, resulting in the total tuition increase of 4.5 percent for those students.

The Board also approved increases of 5 percent and 2 percent, respectively, for room and board that will help fund facility and amenity upgrades in Northwest's residence halls.

Additionally, the Board approved a $2 increase from $12 to $14 per credit hour for the University's technology fee and the addition of a 75-cent per credit hour fee to fund the University's Safe Rides Program, which provides transportation for students to local businesses, both of which were previously approved by Northwest's Student Senate.

The increased tuition and fees would result in in-state undergraduate students paying an average $247.80 per credit hour and out-of-state undergraduate students paying $443.23 per credit hour next year.

Despite the increases, University officials noted, Northwest's tuition remains one of the best values among all public universities. A fully-loaded notebook computer is provided for all full-time undergraduate students, and the increased technology fee will allow Northwest to provide new laptops and software upgrades, including Windows 7, to students next year. Northwest's tuition and fees also include primary textbooks, saving students about $900 a year.

Northwest must now submit a request for the Commissioner of Higher Education to waive a penalty built into a state law that caps tuition increases at the rate of inflation. Northwest would be among several state institutions to request the waiver with other governing boards also passing tuition hikes in recent weeks. A competitive analysis conducted by Northwest of tuition increases at other public institutions showed increases ranging from 4.4 percent to percentages in the double digits.

Administrators noted the proposed tuition and fee increases, which were gathered and supported with input from all areas of the University, are based on a multi-year strategic funding model that considered enrollment trends, infrastructure, overall sustainability and Northwest's ability to compete with other institutions.

Northwest has experienced a market growth of 16.8 percent during the last four years, while state appropriations have decreased 12.1 percent, the second-most nationally. A 7 percent state appropriations decrease is expected for fiscal year 2012, and Missouri ranks 49th in the nation in per-student appropriations. 

The Board also approved numerous curriculum changes that included a new graduate-level certification program in eTeaching that offers coursework designed to help students more effectively teach online courses and the creation of new language courses for Chinese, in collaboration with Missouri State University, and Russian.

A curriculum redesign of communication programs will combine the public relations, organizational communication and speech communication majors into a single communications major with public relations, organization communication, interpersonal communication and rhetoric options. The department's one-credit senior seminar course will be replaced with a three-credit senior capstone experience.

The Board of Regents develops policy and has responsibility for sound resource management of the University, and determines general, educational and financial policies.


For more information, please contact:

Mark Hornickel, Media Relations Specialist
mhorn@nwmissouri.edu | 660.562.1704 | Fax: 660.562.1900

Northwest Missouri State University
215 Administration Building | 800 University Drive | Maryville, MO 64468