March 15, 2010
8 named Indispensable Women of Northwest
MARYVILLE, Mo. - From a pool of 43 nominations, eight women have been selected as the 2010 Indispensable Women of Northwest.
The women, who will be recognized during a ceremony at 3:30 p.m. Thursday, March 18 in the J.W. Jones Student Union Living Room, are:
- Deb Toomey (instructor, marketing/management)
- Betty Heitman (transfer specialist, admissions)
- Mary Throener (vice president for human resources and organizational effectiveness)
- Jolaine Zweifel (computer specialist, CITE office)
- Jill Monticue (secretary, curriculum and instruction)
- Jamie Patton (assistant professor, agriculture)
- Kristina Alexander (assistant professor, educational leadership)
- Deborah Rauch (associate custodial supervisor)
Horace Mann essay winners also will be recognized during the ceremony, and the first place winners will read their essays.
"The essays are always great and a highlight of the program, but the quality of the essays this year was absolutely astounding, and we commend the Horace Mann teachers and staff for the innovative and excellent work they put in," said Ame Lambert, director of minority affairs.
The essay winners are:
First place: Caleb Adwell, who wrote about Bessie Coleman
Second place: Bethel Orshiso, who wrote about Madam CJ Walker
Third place: Jocelyn Clayton, who wrote about Golda Meir
First place (tie): Amani Kegode, who wrote about Maya Lin; Clayton Powell, who wrote about Susan B. Anthony
Third place: Max Field, who wrote about Maya Angelou
Thursday's event will be the fourth annual Indispensible Women of Northwest ceremony. The program was launched in 2006 to recognize women whose contributions to Northwest each year are considered "indispensable."
Numerous other events have been scheduled at Northwest to commemorate Women's History Month, which is observed nationally each March. Please see the listing of events below.
Skinny Jean Drive
Sponsored by Panhellenic Council
Donate those skinny jeans, in the back of your closet, to someone in need! Donations will be accepted in the Office of Campus Activities and Roberta Hall.
Donation Drive to benefit the Ministry Center & Catholic Charities
Collection of non-perishable food items and personal hygiene products. Bins will be located in the lobby of the residence halls and Student Union.
Union Passive Program sponsored by Residence Life
White Ribbon Week sponsored by NW Interfraternity Council
Women's softball vs. Wayne State
Bearcat Field, 1 p.m.
Safe Spring Break BBQ & Walk a Mile in Her Shoes
Co-sponsored by the Wellness Center & NW Interfraternity Council.
Bell Tower, 11 a.m. - 2 p.m.
The International Men's March to Stop Rape, Sexual Assault & Gender Violence, Walk a Mile in Her Shoes® is a fun opportunity for men to educate the community about a very serious subject and to rally the community to take action to prevent sexualized violence.
- 20 percent discounts at Barnes and Noble's Bearcat Bookstore on select titles by women authors
- Women's History Month archives display; second floor of the B.D. Owens Library; highlighting women's contributions from the 17 th, 18 th and 19 th centuries.
For more information, please contact:
Mark Hornickel, Media Relations Specialist
firstname.lastname@example.org | 660.562.1704 | Fax: 660.562.1900
Northwest Missouri State University
215 Administration Building | 800 University Drive | Maryville, MO 64468