Accessing the library building:
- Service areas in the library have different hours. Please try to check service hours ahead of time when planning to obtain assistance.
- We reserve the right to search your belongings if you set off the door alarm when exiting the building.
- Third floor is a quiet floor. Please try not to talk out loud on third floor. Talking should be kept at a low volume on first and second floors.
Patrons checking a book out of Owens Library must bring the book and their valid ID to the Circulation Desk on first floor.
Due dates: The patron is responsible for knowing the date on which the materials are due and for getting them back to the library on or before that date.
- Due dates are available for reference in Your Library Account.
- Desk assistants tell the patron when the materials are due back in the library.
- The computer automatically generates a courtesy overdue notice on the first day after the book is due and the notice is mailed the same day. This notifies the patron of the materials which are overdue and asks the patron to return them immediately. However, even without the notice, the patron is responsible for knowing the due date.
- On the 8th day after the due date, a final notice is generated by the computer and mailed the same day. At that time, a $5.00 late fee is assessed along with a replacement cost for each item. If the materials are returned after a replacement costs is accessed, the replacement cost is refunded. All monies received from late fees are placed in a general university account. Library fees are not paid to the library, and the library receives a minimal amount of the money from this university account.
To ensure accurate check-ins, ALL materials that are checked out from the Circulation Desk must be returned to the indoor bookdrop at the Circulation Desk when the library is open or the bookdrop outside by the front doors if the library is closed.
(Patrons who use materials in the library without checking them out should place them on any of the wooden book carts placed in various locations on all the floors for their convenience.)
Book check-in procedures:
- Books are sensitized to set off the door alarm
- If the book is returned after the due date, the computer creates a late fee charge, and we log the date, the number of days overdue, the name of the book, and the borrower’s ID number so we know who had the book.
All books are checked in the same day they are received; there is nothing left in the bookdrops when we close the building at night.
Library Claims: Claims for items returned or billed can be made at the Library Services Desk. We will send you the results of your claim within 5 working days (Monday-Friday) of receipt of the appeal form. If at that time you wish to make a further appeal, you may make an appointment with Steven Ayers by calling him at (660) 562-1180 or sending an e-mail at email@example.com.
Borrowing RESERVE materials:
- Your Bearcat ID is required to check out Reserve materials.
- The late fee for Reserve materials is 50 cents per hour.
- Return Reserve materials to one of the book drops at the Library Services Desk on first floor
- Please check the Reserve Services for Students page for more information on reserved materials.
- Materials may be renewed when you need an item longer than the initial loan period unless requested by another patron.
- Northwest Owens, Towers cluster, and MOBIUS items may be renewed up to 2 times. If you have already renewed an item as many times as possible, the note “too many renewals” will appear next to the due date. This item may no longer be renewed and must be returned to Owens Library as soon as possible.
- Items may only be renewed within 7 days of the due date. If you try to renew an item more than a week before it is due, the note “too soon to renew” will appear next to the due date and the item will not be renewed. Please wait until closer to the due date and try to renew the item again.
- Holds are placed for patrons when they request materials that are currently checked-out. All loans are subject to recall after the initial loan period if a request (hold) for the material is made.
- If you try to renew an item online that another patron has requested, you will see an “on hold” message next to the due date and you will not be able to renew the item. In such cases, please return the item to Owens Library as soon as possible.
- After returning the item in question to the library, please ask a Reference Librarian to assist you in placing a hold or locating another copy if you need to use the item again.
Minors in the library
- The Northwest Library’s primary users are Northwest students, faculty, and staff who have priority usage of Library resources.
- Minors between the ages of 14-17 without a valid Northwest Missouri State University Identification card must submit a signed Parental Permission Consent Form, which outlines general behavioral expectations and internet access guidelines. Forms are available from and should be returned to the Library Services Desk. The form must be signed by the parent and the child and be on file in the Library before access to computers will be permitted.
- Minors under the age of 14 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian at all times.
- Disrupting the living/learning environment or misusing property (including electronic resources) will not be tolerated, will be reported immediately to University Police, and may result in the guest being banned from the Library.
- Those using the Library’s public access computers are additionally expected to comply with all laws, Northwest Missouri State University computing policies, and any policies specific to a resource.
- Acceptable usage of the Northwest computing network and other Northwest computing policies are outlined at: www.nwmissouri.edu/CompServ/ClientComputing/ComputingPolicies/htm
- Appropriate Use of Licensed Electronic Resources Policy can be found here: http://www.nwmissouri.edu/library/Owens/UseofLER.htm
- Viewing of pornographic material in a public lab is a state offense according to Missouri Statute §573.060 and will be reported to the University Police.
Guests may be asked to show proof of age upon request by Northwest Missouri State University personnel. If proof cannot be presented at the time of the request, the guest will be asked to leave the facility until s/he can present proof of age.
Gifts to B.D. Owens Library
Gifts to B.D. Owens Library are accepted at the Library Services Desk. All materials donated to B.D. Owens Library become state property. Items not added to the library collection may be sold or disposed of at the Library’s discretion.