This website is best viewed in a browser that supports web standards.
This exercise will help you to learn more about a career of your choice. Click on the underlined text to link to resources.
Step 1: TypeFocus
Step 2: Occupational Outlook Handbook
Step 3: Questions
Write an introductory paragraph telling which career you have chosen and why it interests you. Answer the questions below to complete the body of your paper. Use TypeFocus, Self-Awareness Report and the Occupational Outlook Handbook to complete your assignment. Please be sure to use complete sentences, proper punctuation, and correct spelling.
Step 4: Closing
|Write a closing paragraph reflecting on what you have learned about your career choice. Are you still interested in the career that you chose for this assignment? Why or why not?|
Step 5: Works Cited
1. Include a "Works Cited" page listing the resources that you used to complete this assignment Use a separate page at the end of your paper for your "Works Cited" page. Parenthetical references are used within the text if you are quoting or paraphrasing something from within each source.
2. The Library has a Citing Sources Page that can be used to find examples of how to cite resources. Click here to find that page. For this assignment you will use MLA citation style. Both of the resources that you have used for this assignment are websites. Here are the elements that you will need:
Author/editor. [NOTE: if no author is listed, begin entry with the title of the web page] "Title of Page from Web Site." Title of the Overall Web Site. Publisher or sponsor of the site (if not available, use N.p.--MLA Handbook, p.184), Date of publication (day, month, and year, as available; if no date is available, use n.d.--MLA Handbook, p.185). Medium of publication consulted. Date accessed.
3. So for Occupational Outlook Handbook you would cite as below. For this assignment you can copy and paste this into your paper, but be sure to change the title to your choice of careers
"Social Workers." Occupational Outlook Handbook. Bureau of Labor Statistics. 2010. Web. 17 Aug.
4. For TypeFocus, you would cite as below. For this assignment you can copy and paste this into your paper.
"Self -awareness." TypeFocus Careers. N.p. 2010. Web. 17 Aug. 2010.
5. If you are quoting or paraphrasing one of these sources, you need to use a parenthetical reference and here are the MLA references.
Step 6: Turn in your assignment
|Turn in your completed word-processed essay to your Freshman Seminar instructor.|
Return to Course/Subject Resources