This website is best viewed in a browser that supports web standards.

Skip to content or, if you would rather, Skip to navigation.

Northwest Missouri State University

International Student Teaching

What is International Student Teaching?

Northwest has an agreement with the University of Northern Iowa - Office of Field Experiences that allows Northwest students to be placed in a student teaching program abroad through the contacts and processes already established by UNI.

Northwest students wishing to participate in this program must meet the minimum qualifications established first by the Northwest Student Teaching program and the UNI requirements.


Open to all Education majors who are in good academic standing. Students must finish all of their TWS requirements during the domestic school experience. Only students who have shown exemplary academic performance should apply for this challenging program.

When can I participate in a International Student Teaching Program?

The student teaching abroad program must be conducted at the same time that the student is elegible to student teach at Northwest. Northwest students are required to complete the first 8 weeks of their student teach program at a domestic location, so the remaining 8 weeks can be completed at a location abroad. It is important to note that students will have to complete a Northwest Student Teaching Application regardless if they are going abroad or not.

Where can I do my International Student Teach Program?

"Students have been placed in 40 states and 33 countries where they develop global concepts and personal/professional growth. All teaching is done in English unless otherwise requested. Student teachers are closely supervised through an on-site university supervisor or a UNI student teaching coordinator."

UNI places students in every U.S. State, American International Schools around the world and host country schools in English speaking countries:

International Schools

These preK -12 college preparatory international schools are established in various countries around the world.  The student bodies are typically comprised of multiple nationalities with English as the language of instruction.  Student teachers will have the opportunity to be mentored by high quality educators as they implement innovative teaching practices from around the world. 


What are the costs?

  1. Northwest Student Teaching Tuition Fees
  2. $1,500 for UNI International Student Teaching Placement Fee
  3. $125 for Northwest Study Abroad Administrative Fee
  4. $36 per month for international Insurance
  5. Passport Application
  6. Travel, housing, meals and other related expenses

*Fees subject to increase.

How do I get started?

It is reccomendable that students start the process of International Student Teaching at least two semesters prior to student teaching. UNI has very strict deadlines, however, Northwest students must receive approval first by the International Student Teaching Team prior submitting the UNI application.

UNI Deadlines

Semester Deadline Recommended You Start By
To Student Teach in Spring September 15 April 1
To Student Teach in Fall January 15 December 1

Three quick steps towards an International Student Teaching Program

  1. Visit Dr. Carol Edmonds or Study Abroad Office to gather information about different options on International Student Teaching.
  2. Research programs and select a site
  3. Obtain an "International Intent Form" from Dr. Edmonds or the Study Abroad Office.

Additional Information

For more information, please contact

Study Abroad Office
2080 J.W. Jones Student Union (IIC)
Phone: 1.660.562.1367