Why Are We Here?
The Office of Intercultural Affairs at Northwest Missouri State University exists to provide academic, multicultural, social, and personal support to the University community; with a focus on underrepresented students. We provide support through a variety of celebratory, educational, leadership development, and retention programs. As part of the Intercultural International Center in the Division of Student Affairs, the OIA is dedicated to promoting and achieving diversity at all levels.
The OIA Aims to:
- Educate: We are a learning institution. As such, we will continue to learn about ourselves and others. We will challenge paradigms and assumptions, debunk myths and continually seek out truth.
- Enrich: Diverse; as in the many, the variety, the heterogeneous. The many is better than the one. We will enrich our campus through the celebration of cultural diversity.
- Embrace: We will not just tolerate differences. We will embrace them, celebrate them, and encourage them. We will be a support system and a safe place for our students.
- Empower: We will inspire people to live up to their potential and we will equip them to do so. We will give them the tools they need to thrive. We will be a springboard for success. We will kindle passion. We will develop quality leaders. We will encourage integrity and personal development, because success without character is not sustainable.
- Expand: We will increase the quality and scope of our thinking and assumptions and adjust our services accordingly. We will broaden our horizons. We will enlarge our vision and focus. We will reach beyond assumed limitations.