Sign-Up For ESL
- Students who have completed their high school (secondary) education are welcome to study in the English as a Second Language Program.
- Admission to ESL for intensive English study is separate from admission to Northwest Missouri State University.
- All qualified students are strongly urged to apply for admission to both ESL and Northwest Missouri State University at the same time unless your goal is to learn English for a year or less and return to your home country.
- Financial aid or employment is not available for study in ESL.
- Any student entering the ESL Program will be required to complete the current session in which they enrolled despite any changes to their admission status. Students will be expected to attend all classes and complete all assignments until the end of that session.
- All single (unmarried), first time ESL students under 21 years of age are REQUIRED to live on campus for a minimum of two complete academic semesters. I.e. Fall (August to December) and Spring (January to May). Students arriving in Fall II or Spring will only need to live on campus until May. Students arriving in Spring II or Summer will satisfy the housing requirement in December. These students will be allowed to break their housing contract in December. However, a 35% contract remainder penalty must be paid to move off campus at that time.
NOTE: Due to the structure and classroom focus of the ESL Program, the ESL Program Director has determined undergraduate and graduate students from South Asia (Bangladesh, India, Nepal, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka) are considered native English learners who must demonstrate English language proficiency in order to gain full acceptance.
Steps to Apply for the ESL Program
How do I enter the English as a Second Language Program?
NOTE: Application deadlines for the Fall and Spring sessions match the university deadlines of July 1 and November 15. Fall II, Spring II and Summer ESL session deadlines are 8 weeks prior to the arrival dates (see dates)
- Download the ESL Program Application , complete the form and print it.
- Request an official bank statement from your sponsor showing a minimum balance of $22,400.00 USD.
- Statement of Support
- Send all requirements to:
English as a Second Language Program
Northwest Missouri State University
800 University Drive
106 Wells Hall
Maryville, MO 64468-6001 U.S.A
You do not need a TOEFL/IELTS score to enter the English as a Second Language Program.
There is a separate application procedure if you want to enroll as a degree seeking student at Northwest Missouri State University.