In requiring fraternities and sororities to have chapter advisors, the University expects that advisors will take an active role in the organization. The nature and style of that role is left to the determination of the organization and its advisors. The role of the chapter advisor is to guide, advise and support the chapter and its officers and monitor their progress. A chapter may choose to have one chapter advisor or a team of advisors fulfill the responsibilities listed below.
The chapter advisor needs to be willing to devote significant time to the chapter, skilled in organizational and leadership development and proficient in their inter/national organization's policies and their interpretation. It is through committed advisors and volunteers that chapters achieve their greatest success.
The University's expectations of a chapter advisors include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Supervising the chapter's affairs as they relate to the organization, the campus and the community. Maintain visibility within the chapter by regularly visiting the organization, interacting with members and attending chapter programs and meetings.
- Meeting regularly with the chapter leadership and being available to meet with members upon request. Ensuring that an effective and timely officer transition occurs.
- Serving as a resource person for planning events and programs, resolving issues confronting the group and being involved in the education of new members.
- Educating the chapter about inter/national policies, state and local laws and the chapter code of conduct.
- Ensuring that individual behavior is addressed through a chapter standards board that empowers members to hold each other accountable for their actions consistent with the values of the organization and the University.
- Attending meetings of the chapter advisors when requested by the Office of Campus Activities
- Utilizing campus and inter/national resources and attending inter/national at appropriate leadership conference.
- Working in partnership with the University staff, University Greek Advisor and inter/national headquarters to foster a positive experience for the undergraduate members.