Student and Parent Loans
To accept loans offered on your award letter:
- Login to your CatPAWS account and accept loan(s). Allow approximately two days for your loan to be originated.
Complete Entrance Counseling Session. Federal regulations for financial assistance require first-time borrowers of the Federal Direct student loans to complete an entrance counseling session. As a first-time borrower at Northwest, you must complete an Entrance Counseling Session before student loan funds will credit to your student account. The Financial Assistance Office will electronically receive a list of those students who successfully complete the quiz.
Complete Master Promissory Note (MPN). Must be completed by first-time borrowers before loan funds are disbursed to your Northwest account. Allow approximately one week after accepting on CatPAWS before attempting to complete the MPN.
Complete Loan Exit Counseling. Students who have received ANY federal direct loan funds during their enrollment at Northwest must complete an Exit Counseling Session before leaving the University if they will be graduating at the end of the current trimester, transferring, or enrolled in less than half time (6 hours). You will use your FAFSA PIN to access the exit counseling information. A PIN can be requested from the PIN Web Site if you do not have a valid one.
Parent Plus Loans
- Complete Parent Plus Loan Information Form for desired amount up to the maximum amount listed on the financial aid award letter.
- A credit check is performed on the borrower.
- Once the loan is approved, the parent must complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN) before funds will be disbursed to the student account.
Login with your Social Security number, last name, date of birth, and FAFSA PIN
Select "Complete Master Promissory Note"
On the next screen select "Parent Plus" and follow the instructions
- If the credit decision is denied, additional unsubsidized loan (maximum of $4,000 per year for freshman or sophomore, or $5,000 per year for junior or senior) may be processed for the student.
Perkins Loan Counseling
Entrance Session and Master Promissory Note. When accepting a Perkins
Loan for the first time, you are required to complete an entrance counseling
session and Master Promissory Note. You will need to provide your FAFSA PIN,
Social Security Number, last name, and date of birth. If you do not have a
valid PIN, you must go to the Department of
Education PIN website. You may access the Entrance Session and Master Promissory Note online.
Exit Counseling. To complete your online exit interview, please access ECSI's Website.
Login to "My Account" by entering the following information:
School code: 4P
Acct #: (Your Social Security Number)
PIN: (sent in separate letter from Northwest's Bursar's Office).
Click the "Login" button
Click on the "Exit Interview" link
Click the "Pending Exit" link to begin the process
Additional Loan Tools
- Loan consolidation calculator: Allows borrowers to estimate the repayment period, interest rate, and repayment schedule if they consolidate
- Deferment navigator: Allows borrowers to determine deferment eligibility based on when their oldest outstanding loan was disbursed
- Student loan repayment calculator: Allows borrowers to estimate payments on federal student loans, as well as determine how much salary is needed to support student loan debt
- Income-based repayment calculator: Allows borrowers to estimate monthly payment amount under the income-based repayment plan
Students who are planning to become teachers in low income areas and high needs fields may be eligible for the TEACH Grant. Click here for more information.
Loan Cancellation/Deferment Options for Teachers