Criminal Background Checks
Criminal Background Check General Information
Criminal Background Check for Practium Courses
Beginning with the fall of 2012, the Professional Education Unit requires all students to register with the Family Care Safety Registry (FCSR) during their first practicum course for a one-time fee of $11. The Teacher Education Student Services (TESS) Office will run current background checks through the FCSR when students enroll in teacher education entry level courses (Observation & Activity 62-211 and Middle & Secondary Teaching Practicum I 61-260 & 262 and Observation & Activity in PE 22-260), upon admission to the Professional Education Program, and in upper level Professional Education Practica Courses. Students must provide verification of their FCSR registration to the TESS Office in Administration Building 348 during their 1st week of enrollment in 62-211, 61-260, 61-262, and 22-260.
The Family Care Safety Registry conducts a search using name, date of birth, and/or Social Security number against the records maintained by the following Missouri state agencies:
- Criminal History records maintained by the MO State Highway Patrol
- Sex Offender Registry records maintained by the MO State Highway Patrol
- Child abuse/neglect records maintained by the MO Department of Social Services
- Foster parent licensing records maintained by the MO Department of Social Services
- Employee Disqualification list maintained by the MO Department of Health and Senior Services
- Employee Disqualification Registry records maintained by the MO Department of Mental Health
- Child Care licensing records maintained by the MO Department of Health and Senior Services
A person may either register online with the FCSR or by mail. Online registration is quick and easy and all an individual will need is internet access, his/her Social Security number, and a valid credit or debit card for payment of the fee. The one-time fee to register online is $11.00 plus a $1.00 processing fee.
If you choose to mail in your registration, you need to complete the worker registration form which can be found at the following address: http://health.mo.gov/safety/fcsr/forms.php. Mail a copy of the worker registration form along with a photocopy of your Social Security card and a check or money order for the $10.00 registration fee to the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services, Fee Receipts Unit, P.O. Box 570, Jefferson City, MO 65102. Mailed forms are processed in the order received.
First Time Registration:
- To register online with the FCSR, make sure you have internet access, your social security number, and a credit or debit card and go to the following site: https://webapp02.dhss.mo.gov/bsees/Main.aspx
- Click the Registration Tab and then Register.
- You will need to confirm that you haven't registered with the FCSR at an earlier time. Click the Is a Person Registered Tab, enter your Social Security Number twice along with the security text on the screen and hit search. If you have registered previously, your Social Security Number will be on file. If not, click continue to proceed with registration.
- Under Employer Information, you will use the select if no employer dropdown box. Choose student and click continue.
- Select voluntary under the registration type. Next, enter your last name, first name, date of birth, and gender. You will also need to click the add other name button if you have used any other names (maiden, nickname, previous married names). Enter your mailing address including the zip, city, state, and county. Read and agree to the terms and enter your payment information.
- Once you have completed the process, you will be taken to a verification screen. The TESS Office will need a copy of this screen for your file. Please go to File, Select All, Copy, and Paste this page into a word document. Save it and email it to the TESS Office at email@example.com so we will know you have registered and we can proceed with the background check. You will receive the results of your background check in the mail from the FCSR. Please keep this copy for your own records.
Already Registered Students:
The TESS Office will automatically request a new FCSR Background Check during the beginning of the semester that you are enrolled in a course requiring a background check. You will not need to do anything if you have already registered with the FCSR and your registration verification is on file in the TESS Office.
To check to see if you are registered, follow these steps:
- Go to https://webapp02.dhss.mo.gov/bsees/Main.aspx
- Click the Registration tab and then Register.
- Click the Is A Person Registered Tab, enter your Social Security Number twice along with the security text on the screen and hit search. If you have registered previously, your Social Security Number will be on file.
Criminal Background Check for Certification