Shown above: T.J. McGinnis (center) helping a student with her new notebook.
The notebook computers are another step in the continuing evolution of the Electronic Campus program, which began in 1987. The new notebooks will allow students greater mobility and portability of data.
--Dr. Jon Rickman, VP of Information Systems
As well-over 6000 students
arrive at Northwest Missouri State University for the start
of the 2005 Fall trimester, all those living in campus housing will be welcomed back with new notebook computers, with a rental program for commuter/non-campus-housing students.
The notebook program was the brainchild of Dr. Jon Rickman, Vice-President
of Information Systems, and is thought to be the first program
of its kind by a public university in the state of Missouri
to issue notebook computers to its general student population.
According to Dr. Rickman,
the new notebook computers have the following specifications:
- 1.3 GHz Intel Celeron M processor 350
- 40GB Hard diskdrive
- 256MB Ram memory
- 24x/10x/24x CD-RW/8x DVD-ROM drive
- Integrated AGP video
- Integrated Sound Blaster compatible Audio
- Integrated Intel 10/100 Network Interface
- Internal 802.11g wireless network card
- 2 USB ports, 1 parallel port, 1 VGA monitor
- 6 cell Lithium Ion battery (1 year warranty)
- 14.1” Active matrix LCD display
- EX Pad pointing device (touchpad)
- Microsoft Windows XP professional (Operating system)
- Microsoft Office 2003 professional (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access)
- Internet Explorer
- Norton Antivirus
In addition to the notebook computer, students were also issued a backpack/tote with Northwest logo to carry their new notebook computer in.
Northwest's notebook computer program kicked off in Fall 2004 with a successful pilot program involving students living in the Forrest Village Apartments and Tower Suites.
The Information Systems
Department strongly encourages students to obtain appropriate
insurance coverage to protect their notebook computers in
case of damage, loss or theft. For more information about
insurance or Northwest notebook computers, go to the following
web site: http://www.nwmissouri.edu/COMPSERV/CampusNotebooks/index.htm