- PhD. Communication Studies; Regent University
- M.A. Speech Communication; Minnesota State University, Mankato
- B.S. Religion, Speech Communication; Pillsbury Baptist Bible College
- COM 102 Fundamentals of Oral Communication
- COM 232 Small Group Communication
- COM 225 Intercultural Communication
- COM 336 Nonverbal Communication
My research interests are in the areas of visual rhetoric, speech pedagogy, rhetoric of music, and the rhetoric of popular and religious culture.
- “Discussing Controversial or Difficult Issues in the Classroom.” Activity presented at the Central States Communication Association's Annual Convention, Grand Rapids, MI 2016.
- “Converging Propaganda and the Homology of Hope: Comics as Equipment for Living” Activity presented at the Central States Communication Association’s Annual Convention at Madison, WI, 2015 at a session of the Kenneth Burke Society.
- “The Presence of our Past and Present Theology: An Analysis of the Metaphors for Sin in Popular Praise and Worship Music.” Paper presented at the National Communication Association’s Annual Convention on a panel of the Religious Communication Association at Chicago, 2014.
- Respondent for the panel Sex, Politics, and Religion: Can you Hear me Now? at the pre-conference of the Religious Communication Association held at the National Communication Association Annual Conference in Washington D.C., 2013.
- “Sources of Power and the Impact on a Small Group COMMunity: An activity to help students experience the impacts and effects of power and power imbalances.” Activity presented at The National Communication Association’s Annual Convention at Orlando, 2012 at a session of the Great Ideas for Teaching Students (G.I.F.T.S) Session II.
- “Voicing the Nation Without Saying a Word: An Analysis of the Nation State Voice found on the U.S. Dollar coin” Paper presented at the National Communication Association’s Annual Convention on a panel of the Visual Communication Division at New Orleans, 2011.
- Respondent on the panel The Voice of Religion in Television, Books and ‘Sermons’ sponsored by the Religious Communication Association held at the National Communication Association’s Annual Convention at New Orleans, 2011.
- “The Voice in Nonverbal Immediacy: Screaming for your attention without saying a word. Finding Nonverbal Immediacy Cues in an Episode of ABC’S ‘The Bachelor.’” Activity presented at The National Communication Association’s Annual Convention at New Orleans, 2011 at a session of the Great Ideas for Teaching Students (G.I.F.T.S) Session I.
- Katsion, John “The Boy Commandos Comic Book as Equipment for Living: The Comic Book Form as Propaganda” in The Ten Cent War, ed. James Kimble and Trischa Goodnow. (Jackson, MS: University Press of Mississippi, forthcoming)
- Katsion, John (2015) Symbols are Important: Nation-States and the Image on Our Money Discourse: The Journal of the Speech Communication Association of South Dakota vol. 2
- Katsion John (2015) “A Faithful Remnant: Evangelical Media and the Choice between ‘God and Man”. in M. Ward (Ed.) The Electronic Church in the Digital Age: Cultural Impacts of Evangelical Mass Media.
- Katsion, John (2013) The Hymn “Amazing Grace:” The Grace Anecdote as Equipment for Living Journal of Communication and Religion vol. 36.2
- Understanding Evangelical Media [Review of Quentin J. Schultze’s and Robert H. Woods Jr., eds Understanding Evangelical Media: The Changing Face of Christian Communication. (Downers Grove: IVP Academic), 2008.] Cultural Encounters. 6.2 (2010).
- Reel Spirituality [Review of Robert K. Johnston’s, Reel Spirituality: Theology and Film in Dialogue, 2nd ed. (Grand Rapids: Baker Academic), 2006.] Cultural Encounters. 4.2 (2008).
- How to Analyze Your Arguments in Preaching Preaching (Nov-Dec, 1998).
- Mock Parliamentary Debate The Speech Communication Teacher (Winter, 1997).
Student Group Advisement
- Academic Adviser, Sigma Sigma Sigma
Other Professional Experiences
- Member of the National Communication Association
- Member of the Religious Communication Association
- Member of the Central States Communication Association
- Chair of the Visual Communication Division of NCA
- Member of the Editorial Board for the Iowa Journal of Communication Issue 47