- Ph.D.; Kansas State University, 1999
- General Sociology
- Sociology of Health & Illness
- Urban Sociology
- Research Methods in Sociology
- Social Theory
- Urban Culture
- Global City
- Teaching Sociology
Recent Publications in Refereed Journals
- Shin, Kyoung-Ho, 2015, “The rise and fall of New Town Projects in Seoul: Neoliberal state, Chaebol’s capital, and unequal space,” (forthcoming). Shin, Kyoung-Ho, 2014. “Korean entrepreneurs in Kansas City Metropolitan area: an immigrant community under ethnic local and global intersection” Journal of Enterprising Communities, 8(4): 287-299.
- Shin, Kyoung-Ho, 2014. “Global Interconnectedness and Multiculturalism in Undergraduate Sociology Courses in the USA,” International Studies in Sociology of Education, 24(2): 210-227.
- Shin, Kyoung-Ho, 2014. “Global Multiculturalism in Undergraduate Sociology Course: An Analysis of Introductory Textbooks in the U.S.” Multicultural Education Review, 6(1): 79-101.
- Shin, Kyoung-Ho, 2013. “Urban Connectivity in Air Passenger Flows, 2002-2012: The Case of Seoul and Its Implications” International Journal of Humanities and Social Science, 3(18): 1-11.
- Shin, Kyoung-Ho, 2012. “The Rise of East Asia” in The Wiley-Blackwell Encyclopedia of Globalization. Edited by George Ritzer. pp.464-472. London: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Shin, Kyoung-Ho. 2011. "A Theoretical View of the Globalizing Sex Industry: World-System Position, Local Patriarchy, and the State Policy in South Korea," in Analyzing Gender,
Intersectionality, and Multiple Inequalities. Advances in Gender Research. Series, 15. Edited by E.Chow, M. Segal and T.Lin. Pp. 75-94. Emerald Publishing. UK. (chapter).
- Shin, Kyoung-Ho, Yang, J. & C. Edwards, 2010. "Gender role identity among Korean and American college students: Links to gender and academic achievement," Social Behavior and Personality, Vol. 38, no.2: 267-272.
- Shin, Kyoung-Ho and Paul Ciccantell, 2009. "The Steel and Shipbuilding Industry of South Korea: Rising East Asia and Globalization," Journal of World-Systems Research, Vol. XV, no.2: 267-192.
- Yang, J. and Kyoung-Ho Shin, 2008. "Vulnerability, Resilience, and Well-being of intermarriage: An Ethnographic Approach to Korean Women," Journal of International Women's Studies, Vol. 10, no.2: 46-63.
Book/Film Reviews, Online & Other Publishing
- Shin, Kyoung-Ho, 2012. "The Rise of East Asia" (5000 words) in Encyclopedia of Globalization. Edited by George Ritzer. Wiley-Blackwell. (forthcoming-January)
- Shin, Kyoung-Ho, 2011. "World Cities in Asia" in International Handbook of World-Systems Analysis. Edited by Christopher Chase-Dunn and Salbatore Babones. London: Routledge. (forthcoming-December).
- Shin, Kyoung-Ho, 2011. "Korean Women's Participation in Globalizing Entertainment (Sex) Industry: Semiperipheral Position, Local Patriarchy, and Government Policy," pp.353-364.
in Tan, Lin and Esther Chow (eds.). Gender and Social Transformation in the Era of Globalization. Beijing: Social Sciences Academic Press. (Chapter - in Chinese).
Presentations at National/International Conferences
- Shin, Kyoung-Ho 2015 “Transnational cultural flow in digital era: Seoul’s connection through TV dramas, pop music and images,” WUN Understanding Global Digital Cultures Conference 2015, April 25-26. The Chinese University of Hong Kong.
- Shin, Kyoung-Ho 2014 “Seoul’s Connectivity in Asian City System through Air Passenger Flows: Recent Changes and Implications” American Sociological Association Annual Meeting. San Francisco, Aug.16-19.
- Shin, Kyoung-Ho 2013 “Global Multiculturalism in Undergraduate Sociology Course: Analyzing Introductory Textbooks in the US,” 2013 Korea Association of Multicultural Education International Conference. Seoul, Hanyang University. May 9-11.
- Shin, Kyoung-Ho 2011 "Violence in Rapid Urban Redevelopment: Tragic Yongsan New Town in Seoul" Annual Meeting of American Sociological Association, Las Vegas, Aug. 23.
- Boenner, H. , Mosby, B. and K. Shin, 2011 "Immigrant Community under Global Clout: Korean Business Neighborhood in Kansas City" Annual Meeting of Midwest Sociological Society, St. Louis, MO March 27.
- Shin, Kyoung-Ho, 2010. "Generative Sectors in the Rising East Asia and the Restructuring World Economy: The Steel and Shipbuilding Industries of South Korea and China" (presented for XVII International Sociological Association, World Congress of Sociology, Gothenburg, Sweden, July 11-17).
Student Group Advisement
- Undergraduate Students with Psy/Soc Comprehensive Major
- Korean Students Association
Other Professional Experiences
Professional and Editorial Activities
- Journal Reviewer, GeoForum, 2015
- Journal Reviewer, Multicultural Education Review, 2015
- Committee Chair, Research Project “History of Korean Immigrants in Kansas City Metropolitan Area”; Korean Cultural Center of Greater Kansas City, 2012-2014
- Reviewer, Journal, Cities, 2010-present
- Associate Editor, Global Studies Journal, 2010
- Editorial Board Member, The Multicultural Education Review, 2008-present