- Ph.D. Psychology; Saint Louis University
- Specialty in Organizational Psychology with a Certificate in Women's Studies
- M.S. (Research) Psycholog; Saint Louis University
- Specialty in Organizational Psychology
- B.A. Psychology and Business Administration; Stephens College
- Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Psychology of Groups and Teams
- Introduction to Psychological Experimentation
- Psychology in Film
- Psychology of Leadership
- History and Systems of Psychology
- Scholarship of Teaching and Learning
- Group and team dynamics
- Emotions in Organizations
- College student development
co-authors were undergraduate students at the time the manuscript was prepared)
- Barnett, J. & Francis, A. (2012). Using higher order
thinking questions to foster critical thinking: A classroom study. Educational Psychology: An International
Journal of Experimental Educational Psychology, 32, 201-211.
- Francis, A., & Barnett, J. (2012). The effect and
implications of a “self-correcting” assessment procedure. Teaching of Psychology, 39, 38-41.
- Francis, A. (2011, September 24). A hammer, a nail, and
YouTube: Expanding your instructional technology toolbox. [Review of the book Best Practices for Technology-Enhanced
Teaching and Learning: Connecting to Psychology and the Social Sciences].
PsycCRITIQUES—Contemporary Psychology: APA Review of Books, 56 (34).
- Wilson, M., & Francis, A.L. (2011). Assisting sexual abuse
victims: The school counselor’s role. The
Counseling Interviewer, 43 (4), 5-7.
co-authors were undergraduate students at the time of the presentation)
A., & Francis, A. (2012, February). Millennial’s
Observations, Empirical Insights, and Implications for Pedagogy . Presentation at the 4th
Annual Conference on Higher Education Pedagogy, Blacksburg, Virginia.
A. & Flanigan, A. (2011, October). Self-directed learning goes to
school: Implications for motivation and engagement. Presentation at the 41st
Annual Conference of the International Society for Exploring Teaching and
Learning, San Diego, CA.
A. & Flanigan, A. (2011, May). Self-directed learning and
academic motivation: pedagogical implications. Poster session presented at
the 23rd annual convention of the Association for Psychological Science, Washington,
A. & Hulgan, M.G. Jr. (2011, May). Positive family spillover: Relationships
with undergraduates academic performance, self-efficacy and academic motivation.
Poster session presented at the 23rd annual convention of the Association for
Psychological Science, Washington, D.C.
A.B., Barnett, J. & Francis, A.L., (2010, May). The impact of intruder
drills on students’ perceptions of anxiety and safety. Poster session
presented at the 22nd annual convention of the Association for Psychological
Science, Boston, MA.
A.L., & Hendrix, R. (2010, May). Faculty and student ratings of
undergraduate research presentations at a regional conference. Poster session
presented at for the 22nd annual convention of the Association for
Psychological Science, Boston, MA.
- Francis, A.L. (2009, October). Self-made knowledge:
Engaging experiences and emotion in a psychology of gender course. Presentation at the Hot Topics: Best
Practices in Teaching Controversial Issues in Psychology conference, Atlanta,
Other Professional Experiences
- Director of the Freshman Seminar Program
- Association for Psychological Science member
- Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology member
- Society for the Teaching of Psychology member
- Certified Yoga Instructor (CYT200)