This website is best viewed in a browser that supports web standards.

Skip to content or, if you would rather, Skip to navigation.

Northwest Missouri State University

Welcome to Building Bridges!

Annually, more than 90 percent of the nation's 2.5 million high school graduates indicate a desire to continue their education in college. Seventy-percent of graduates actually enroll in some form of postsecondary education within two years after graduation. Despite such high levels of aspiration and motivation, once on campus more than half of those who matriculate require remedial work. Worse yet, a staggering 41 percent never complete either a two- or four-year degree. But even these data understate the problem since only 68 percent of high school freshmen complete high school on time. The other 32 percent are not in the pool from which the previously mentioned 90 percent are calculated. Another study, reported in Change Magazine, found that 10 years after their freshmen year in high school only 18 percent of students had completed a baccalaureate degree. These data highlight a growing personal and national tragedy that challenges educators at all levels.

Why do students drop out once they get to college? Three dominant reasons or combinations thereof emerge from experience and the literature: First, they lack basic knowledge in reading, math, writing and test taking. Second, such students haven't developed the work habits and study skills necessary to succeed in college. Third, some students have difficulty with the social environment. In our view, what is required is an exemplary project that is capable of serving as a catalyst for the larger culture change that will holistically address all of these issues.

Never Stop Learning

From Education Dynamics