This website is best viewed in a browser that supports web standards.

Skip to content or, if you would rather, Skip to navigation.

Northwest Navigation

Northwest logo

Northwest Missouri State UniversityNorthwest Missouri State University

Information for Veterans

Forms to Complete

Veterans expecting to enroll for educational benefits may obtain an application form (22-1990) from the Office of Veterans Affairs  (Administration Building, Room 273) or online at A veteran previously receiving benefits at another institution needs to complete a "Request for Change of Training Application" (22-1995), also available in the Office of Veterans Affairs or to complete the form online, you can visit: Returning students need only notify the Northwest Missouri State University Veterans Coordinator of their intentions to re-enroll and update any address and major changes.

Required Military Forms

Those veterans having served active duty should present a copy of separation papers, form DD-214, with the application for benefits. Members of the National Guard or Selective Reserves should submit a "Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE)", form DD-2384, and a copy of the Kicker Contract, if applicable, with the benefits application.

GI Bill Money and Northwest Tuition and Fees

Initial applications take the Veterans Administration 6-8 weeks to process. In general, the first GI Bill check can be expected approximately 8 weeks after the first day of class. A payment plan may be set up with the Northwest Bursar's Office (Administration Building, Room 119) if payment of tuition and fees is reliant on receipt of the GI Bill.

Northwest Credit for Military Service

Students who have completed a minimum of one year of active military service or have completed three years in the Guard/Reserves will be granted 4 hours of physical education credit. The general education credit will be granted by the Admissions Office upon presentation of the DD-214 or a letter from Commanding Officer stating initial enlistment date and current military status.

Policies and Contacts

Veterans benefit allowances, programs and policies, and Northwest's procedures frequently change. Students at Northwest Missouri State University who intend to receive VA benefits should contact the Office of Veterans Affairs in the Financial Aid Office, Administration Building, Room 273. To obtain current information about VA benefits, your eligibility for benefits, rate and method of payment, or the address of the nearest regional office, call 1.888.442.4551 or check the GI Bill website, Other helpful websites include the following:

Campus Contacts

Brady Willis
General Inquires / Admissions
Transfer Academic Advisor
230 Owens Library
Phone: 660.562.1804

Chris Scroggins
Financial Assistance Counselor
Phone: 660.562.1363

Dr. Mark Corson
Veteran's Organization Sponsor
Phone: 660.562.1672

Northwest Student Veterans Association (NWSVA)

The Northwest Student Veterans Association assists veterans, active duty personnel, National Guard, and reserve personnel to make an easier transition into the academic community. This group provides camaraderie and support to enhance the student veteran experience.

Learn more »

chat loading...