Admission Requirements for International Students
Now viewable on iPad!
All international student applicants must complete a Missouri Academy Application Form for International Students. For admission purposes, an international student is either a non-US citizen or non-US Permanent Resident (without a green card) – who may reside in the US or in their home country. Applications will be considered on a rolling admission basis between September 2014 and May 2015. The following criteria will be used for admission and selection of candidates from among international students:
- Evaluation of 9th and 10th grade academic transcript (30 points):
- Candidates must have taken or are currently taking the following subjects and are showing high performance in the classroom, i.e. mostly “A’s” and some “B’s” or high grade point average. The Missouri Academy Admissions Committee examines the student academic transcript to see if the student has taken courses in advanced level algebra or higher level geometry and/or trigonometry or other mathematics courses; chemistry; biology and English. The committee also looks at the student’s class rank. Students ranked in the top 5-10% are preferred.
- Score on the Missouri Academy Entrance Examination (MAEE) (20 points):
- The Missouri Academy has its own entrance exam called the Missouri Academy Entrance Exam (MAEE). The MAEE has two parts: the English section and the Mathematics section. The English section carries 60% of the points and the Mathematics carries 40%.
- Performance at the Interview (20 points):
- All international students must have a face-to-face or Skype interview with Missouri Academy staff members. The purpose of the interview is to determine the candidate’s facility with the English language. We want to determine the candidate’s level of comfort with conversational English. We will focus on how well the candidate understands the questions/comments and how well we understand the candidate’s responses.
- The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) (20 points):
- All international students are expected to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (or TOEFL). You must register and take this test as soon as possible. The minimum acceptable score on the Internet-Based TOEFL (iBT) is 72. The IELTS (minimum average score of 6.0) is also acceptable.
- Other Factors (10 points):
- Evaluations from two teachers (5 points). Please ask two of your teachers to complete the attached evaluation and send them directly to the mailing address or e-mail indicated on the evaluation form.
- Awards and Honors received in 9th and 10th grades (5 points)
The ACT or SAT scores are not required for admission of international students. However, international students may be required to submit the ACT or SAT to be eligible the limited scholarships offered by the Missouri Academy. Please check with the Missouri Academy to be sure.